The residence of Eleftherios Venizelos in the area of Halepa in Chania was his home for over 30 years from 1880-1910 and then again from 1927 until 1935. Venizelos loved this house and lived over half his life in it. The residences of Prince George, High Commissioner of Crete, the embassies of the Great Powers and the houses of the middle class are also in this area during the period of the Cretan State. When he becomes Prime Minster of Greece, in 1910, Venizelos leaves for Athens and rents his home to relatives, foreign diplomats and Cretan politicians.
The house took its present form when Venizelos returned to Chania in 1927 and completely renovated it.
In 1941 the house is bombarded during the Battle of Crete. The Germans restore the house and use it as a base and residence of the German commander of Crete. During the occupation the house suffered many damages and acts of vandalism.
In 2002 the Greek Government bought the house and conceded it to the National Institute of Research and Studies "Eleftherios K. Venizelos". After the scientific and administrative services were moved to another residence in 2005, the Venizelos residence operated as the headquarters of the Institute and still functions as a Museum and place of historic remembrance of Eleftherios Venizelos. The house bears the personal markings of Venizelos as all the areas have been preserved as he had them when he lived there.
The Institution aims to restore this historical residence and to transform it into a place of historical remembrance according to international standards. After the completion of the restoration works the Venizelos Residence will house museum technologies and modern technological equipment. The future connection to other museum complexes both in Greece and abroad is also in future plans.