The stavropegic Monastery of Odigitria, also known as Moni Gonias due to its location on the western tip of the bay (gonia = corner), is an ancient monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was founded in the 9th century when it was build in honor of Saint George at the location Menies (Rodopo peninsula) over the ancient temple of Diktina of Artemis Vritomartis. In the early 17th century the monastery moved to its current location for safety reasons and was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was destroyed many times by the Turks, the last one during the revolution in 1866 and by the German troops because of its revolutionary activities. Close to the monastery is the Orthodox Academy of Crete, a very important spiritual institution of the Cretan Archdiocese.