"Ovriaki", the Jewish quarter of Chania, is located in the northwest part of the city, behind the port and east of the Christian neighborhood of Topanas. The homes of eminent Jewish families were along its main street which today is Kondilaki Street.
There were two Synagogues in the Jewish Quarter. One was totally demolished when Chania was bombed by Nazi aircraft during the 2nd World War, while the second was abandoned following the disbandment of the Jewish Community by the Nazis in 1944.
The Nazis captured almost all of the Jews living in Chania with the purpose of sending them to the concentration camps of Auschwitz in Germany. The boat transporting them sunk during the voyage to Athens from Chania.
Many years later, during the 1990's, the Etz Hayyim Synagogue, which had been spared the bombings, was reconstructed just off Kondilaki Street and has been functioning ever since. Today, Kondilaki Street and the old alleys of the Jewish Quarter, are popular meeting places in the summer months and are the busiest streets of the old town.