The square at the Catholic Church of the Three Martyrs is a central city square and many events take place here. The existing Cathedral was built on the site of the Theotokos Church of the 14th Century. When Chania was occupied by the Turks in 1645, the church was turned into a soap factory but without any changes to its layout. It remained this way until 1868. The church is inextricably tied to historic events; It served as a refuge and shelter during the difficult periods of national uprising. It suffered serious damage from the bombing of the city by the Germans in May of 1941.