The Agora Square is located in the center of Chania and is home to the well known Municipal Market. The Municipal Market borders on the old and the new city of Chania. Construction of the market began in 1908 on top of the remains of the bastion Piatta Forma. The building is in the shape of a cross, influenced by the buildings of the "Iron Age" from the end of the 19th Century – the Industrial Revolution. The Municipal Market of Chania is a large building of 4,000 square meters on 17,200 square meters of land. It is considered to be the heart of the city. It is not just a commercial center but also serves as a living image of the Marketplace (Agora) of Ancient Greece. In 1980, the Municipal Market of Chania was declared a protected monument by the Ministry of Culture.