The 1866 Square is located in the Eastern part of the city en-route to the exit for Kissamos and it is significant for the city of Chania. In the past, the area was part of an Ottoman cemetery ("mezarlkia"). The unofficial name "new shops" defined the development of the square and the surrounding area in recent years with the expansion of the city outside of the walls. The square provides a green respite with its beautiful plantings. There are busts of heroes of the Cretan Revolution and an elegant Arabic fountain also adds to the décor. The square is named in honor of the three year bloody Cretan Revolution (1866 - 1869) against the Turks.