The Egyptian Lighthouse, which is one of the oldest in the world, prevails in the old Port of Chania. The sea-tossed stone lighthouse which is located at the edge of the breakwater, is not only the “guard” of the old Venetian port, but also its most famous jewel.
The lighthouse was first constructed by the Venetians at the end of 16th century. It was later reconstructed by the Egyptians during the period 1830-40, when English had assigned Crete to the Regent of Egypt, Mehmet Ali. By the end of the Ottoman empire, the project had been completed with the addition of the ladder on its east side, as well as pipes, through which sea water passes under the surface of its base. The lighthouse has a height of 21m, (26 meters from sea level) and its light reached a distance of 7 nautical miles. Its base is octagonal, the central part has 16 angles, while the top part is circular.